The Spotted Pig in NYC, New York - Overrated? | I just want 2 eat

Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Spotted Pig in NYC, New York - Overrated?


So we made it to The Spotted Pig over the week end! It has been a while since I wanted to try: I heard many people talking about this place and about what is supposed to be an outstanding burger! You do not need to tell me that twice to have a restaurant in my radar!

The place has its charm with a bunch of piggies all over the place! There is even a frame that reminded me of the movie Delicatessen!
From outside, it gives a feel of a house in the country, with all the plants.



Not only can you see pigs from outside, but they are everywhere inside, giving a playful feel to the warm decor.
With a name like The Spotted Pig, you could imagine that the restaurant is all about the edible parts of this animal, but as you will see, it is not the case. In fact, all drawings and photos are not only about pigs, although they are the majority.

So we went on a Saturday and decided to show up for brunch at 11:30am, fearing that, with no reservation, we would have a problem to get a table. Yes, this restaurant is popular; also because some celebrities like to hang out there.

When we arrived, we gave our name and were told that we had to wait 10 minutes. This was interesting considering that there were plenty of available tables! So I had two explanations:

  1. They do like Pastis: use this as a way to make you consume a drink at the bar.
  2. The kitchen just opened and they did not want to be swamped by orders. I would go with this one.
So, few minutes after, they brought us upstairs. On our way up, we could not miss the multitude of drawings of various animals. They sat us at the tables with stools. 


We started off with the deviled egg (the menu says "eggs", but it is only one!).
I liked it: the egg was cooked beautifully (overcooked whites taste funny) and there was the perfect quantity of mayonnaise. The egg was topped with was I believe were chives. So it started well.

Then we shared the grilled cheese.
It was served with onion marmalade and mustard. I like it a lot! First of all, the sandwich itself was very good: the bread was soft inside and crispy outside, not greasy. I guess the cheese was swiss.
Besides the sandwich, what made this dish unique was the onion marmalade! It was a fantastic pairing and I truly appreciated the fact that it was not too sweet.

Then, came the star of the brunch: the burger!
So, the burger is served on a brioche bread, with roquefort cheese (kind of a blue cheese, roquefort has a strong taste) and shoestring fries.
The presentation is awesome with the mountain of fries and the marks on the toasted brioche. The bread is fantastic; in fact, I think that brioche bread is my favorite for a burger. I hate when the bun is dry as it is the first thing you will taste when you bit on the burger!
I asked for the meat to be medium, although I hesitated to ask for medium rare as a patty can dry out pretty quickly if overcooked.
As you can see on the photo, the meat was medium rare. It was very juicy and had a nice char taste outside. However, the roquefort was too overpowering! I think it would have been a phenomenal burger with either swiss or cheddar cheese. 
For your information, these sauces you see on the photo above are ketchup and mustard: they do not have mayonnaise.

The shoestring fries were just of for me: too thin, I could barely taste the potatoes...

So, surprisingly, the star of the meal was not the burger but the grilled cheese! I am not sure I would go back there: the food was decent but overpriced! $20 for a burger: it has to rock and it was not the case. The grilled cheese at $16 was also expensive for what it was.

Last, the service was average. At the exception of the waitress and the guy who brought the burger, people there were a bit rude. I guess it is the price to pay to eat in a popular restaurant. At least, it is what they think!

Enjoy (I barely did)!

The Spotted Pig on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Boy, I think you're way off with this review. You said you'd wanted to go to the Pig for quite awhile, hadn't you read anything about the place? If you had, you'd have known that you might've wanted your burger cooked medium well. You also can ask for the cheese on the side.

    We were there two nights ago, the service was extroardinary, as was the food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your review.

    Food is subjective and this blog reflects my own experience that can naturally differ from yours. Besides the subjective factor, restaurant experiences can differ for many other reasons such as different wait staff or problems in the kitchen on a particular day. I wanted to go to this restaurant because it has been mentioned several times for its burger by some acquaintances or in the press; and no, they did not mention that I had to ask for medium well to obtain a medium temperature (I guess customers would assume that a Chef or Cook would know what the difference is). I did not read specific reviews about it because I want to make my own opinion, although the articles I read were already an incentive to go.

    I am glad that you had a great experience and thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete