Recipe: olive oil oven poached tilapia | I just want 2 eat

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Recipe: olive oil oven poached tilapia

I tried a similar dish at The Franciscan, one of my favorite restaurants in San Francisco. Similar in the sense that I tried to recreate it and hopefully it is close enough! I love this dish: it is great for a nice dinner and very flavorful, mixing the flavors from the fish, the olives and olive oil and the sweetness of the butternut squash. It is not complicated, but takes time (close to 1h30)!

Here is the recipe:
For 4 servings
- thin white fish: I picked tilapia (4 filets)
- Pitted Manzanilla Olives (8oz)
- Peeled Butternut Squash (20oz)
- Potatoes (24oz)
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive oil

For the potatoes, I picked some baby potatoes, preferably the creamer ones, with a thin and tasty skin as I keep the skin on it when roasting them. They are usually moist and have a creamier flesh perfect for this dish. 
For the Butternut Squash, I prefer the peeled one as it is a pain in the neck (excuse my French) to cut a squash. I cook it in boiling water until soft as a first step and then will cut each piece in a size that will match the size of the potatoes that I will also cut in small pieces.
In a dish that goes in the oven, put some olive oil, salt and pepper. Put the potatoes and cook at 375 degrees Fahrenheit until the flesh is soft (test with a knife). This may take 30 to 40 minutes. Then, put the pieces of butternut squash and the olives. Cook for another 10 minutes. Add some more olive oil and put in the bottom of the dish the filets. Cover with the potatoes, squash and olives and cook for 30 minutes. Et voila!

Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment