Sol Caribe in Hoboken - My advice: improve your cooking! | I just want 2 eat

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Sol Caribe in Hoboken - My advice: improve your cooking!

Sol Caribe in Hoboken is a latin fusion restaurant that opened recently, replacing Harvest Cuisine. It is located Midtown Hoboken, so it is not a bad location to attract dinners. The restaurant has been fully renovated with bamboo everywhere and a Caribbean feel. Each time we passed in front of it, we did not see that many people though. So I got curious. I can tell you that when we entered, they jumped on us! They are probably dying to have customers, but I suggest they make some changes, otherwise it is not going to happen. Yes, the food was not that great. The way they set it up is the following: you can order a la carte or have the all day special for $7.99. It is comprised of: rice (Morro or yellow), meat (chicken, pork or beef) or fish, plantains or yuca, soup or salad. All of this is prepared buffet style.

We first started with a cheese empanada. I really liked it: there was enough cheese and it was not too greasy.

Then, we went for the $7.99 menu: we chose the morro rice (made with rice and black beans), chicken and skirt steak with fried vegetables, maduros (plantains) and Caribbean salad.

I did not care about the salad: it was made with potatoes, beans and corn with a pink dressing that I guess was made of yoghurt. It was bland!
The rice was dry: they should have prepared the rice with some black bean sauce so it does not dry out as fast.

The skirt steak was like eating my shoe! I did not even finish it! This is very rare as would people who know me say.

The only things I liked were the chicken (just a drumstick) and the maduros. I also had a batido of banana (Latin American handmade blended beverage similar to smoothies, made with milk, fruit, and usually ice) that was very delicious.

The food is definitely not good, even for the price! We ended up spending as much as what we spent at La Isla, where we would have had a better quality meal!

Hopefully, they will improve, otherwise, I am not sure how they will be able to stay opened! There are so many good restaurants in the area, that you have to serve decent food and Sol Caribe failed to do it!

No enjoy this time!

Sol Caribe on Urbanspoon



3 comments:

  1. You must be a very angry competitor writing all this bs. I eat there two to three times a week since they opened and not only was the service great, but the food is delicious, thats why I continue to go. sol caribe has a great fusion of latin food so for all you readers out there I just say you should go and try it got yourself to make your own opinion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving a comment. I am not a restaurateur and this blog only reflects my own opinion on the food I am eating. Like for any other sites, readers and dinners are free to try and can disagree: food is subjective. I am respecting all opinions, hence I published your post.

      Delete
  2. COCKROACH ALERT: I had a terrible experience with Sol Caribe last night so I'm trying to spread the word...I hope you don't mind me posting this here...

    DO NOT eat food from this restaurant. I had food delivered from Sol Caribe last night and I spotted a cockroach in it as I was chewing my first bite. So disgusting. Not only that, there were problems even before the roach. They had to call me twice to tell me they were out of things I had ordered. There is no way this place will last with service like this. I'm calling the Hoboken Health Department on Monday morning.

    Here's a photo I posted on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150600640331822&set=a.10150148260521822.282632.714311821&type=1&theater

    ReplyDelete