Johnny Pepperoni in Hoboken, NJ | I just want 2 eat

Monday, February 24, 2014

Johnny Pepperoni in Hoboken, NJ

image of Johnny Pepperoni in Hoboken, NJ

The night of the Super Bowl, we decided to go to Johnny Pepperoni to try their pizza as a friend of Jodi recommended that place. Needless to say that this was the perfect night as the place was empty!

I discovered there that the owner, local restaurateur John Avoletta, also owns City Bistro, a popular bar Uptown Hoboken; so I figured at that point that it was not just some random pizza joint. It is a place of a good size that serves Italian food only, from pasta to pizza, and even more. Too bad as I was craving wings...
image of dining room at Johnny Pepperoni in Hoboken, NJ

The restaurant had a nice feel, with its red and white checkered tablecloth and the black and white photos of Italy on the walls. 
image of parmesan and salt at Johnny Pepperoni in Hoboken, NJ

On the right of the entrance is the open kitchen and on the left the dining room. 

We decided to start our dinner with Arancini Di Riso, that are fried rice balls with cheese and prosciutto. 
image of arancini di riso at Johnny Pepperoni in Hoboken, NJ

They were served in a thick tomato sauce that had a bold taste. The balls themselves were delicious: crunchy on the outside and cheesy on the inside. I simply loved it and they were probably some of the best I ever tried.
image of arancini di riso at Johnny Pepperoni in Hoboken, NJ

Then, we shared the square pie: 
image of square pie at Johnny Pepperoni in Hoboken, NJ

Made with fresh mozzarella, tomato sauce, fresh basil, garlic, olive oil, it was cooked in a pan with extra virgin olive oil.
image of square pie at Johnny Pepperoni in Hoboken, NJ

It was a slightly thinner version of a Sicilian. The crust was crispy and the sauce deliciously thick. There was also a lot of cheese. The pizza was quite big and I am glad Jodi stopped me when I proposed to order a second one!

For dessert, we ordered the homemade tiramisu. 
image of tiramisu at Johnny Pepperoni in Hoboken, NJ

It was good and light, but I would have preferred more cream, i.e a better proportion cream vs lady fingers. 

The food at Johnny Pepperoni was very good and I definitely recommend the Arancini. I am sure it is not the last time I will be there!

Enjoy (I did)!
Johnny Pepperoni on Urbanspoon
If you like this post or the photos, feel free to share it using the toolbar below or to write a comment!   

And Remember: I Just Want To Eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment