Tordesilhas in Sao Paulo, Brazil | I just want 2 eat

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Tordesilhas in Sao Paulo, Brazil

image of Tordesilhas in Sao Paulo, Brazil
Interesting name Tordesilhas: little I knew that it was the name of a city in Spain where a treaty was signed in 1494, dividing the lands newly discovered outside Europe, between Portugal and Spain along a meridian, giving birth in a sense to what is known today as Brazil.
image of Chef Mara Salles at Tordesilhas in Sao Paulo, Brazil

Opened 23 years ago, this is one of the most popular restaurants in Sao Paulo, with an incredible menu crafted by Chef Mara Salles that I met there, serving regional dishes with an elegant flair. 
image of Dining room at Tordesilhas in Sao Paulo, Brazil

Inside, it felt like going to somebody's home.
image of Dining room at Tordesilhas in Sao Paulo, Brazil

Of course, one cannot miss the bar area where they prepare cocktails, especially caipirinha!
image of kitchen at Tordesilhas in Sao Paulo, Brazil

And I got one...
image of caipirinha at Tordesilhas in Sao Paulo, Brazil

image of caipirinha at Tordesilhas in Sao Paulo, Brazil

They really have a large menu and it was a bit tough to pick a dish. If I could, I would have ordered everything on the menu, from meat to seafood. But alas, I had to make a choice. We asked people next to us for some recommendations and that it how I ended up with Abadejo ao Molho de Moqueca, Caruru, Acaçá e Farofa de Dendê:

image of haddock in moqueca sauce at Tordesilhas in Sao Paulo, Brazil

It was Abadejo (haddock) in Moqueca Sauce, Caruru (dish from Bahia prepared with okra, peanuts and dried shrimp), Acaçá (a kind of rice cake originally from Africa and common in Bahia) and Dendê Oil ‘Farofa’ (mix of manioc flour with other ingredients).
image of haddock in moqueca sauce at Tordesilhas in Sao Paulo, Brazil

This was a delicious dish, packed in flavors, especially the moqueca sauce and the caruru. The fish was delightfully moist and perfectly cooked. I could make each bite different by combining each of the components together, giving to this dish a playful side.
image of chilies at Tordesilhas in Sao Paulo, Brazil

To spice up the dish, they gave us some chilies, but I have to admit that it quickly put my mouth on fire!

For dessert, I picked the Manezinho Araújo:
image of Manezinho Araújo at Tordesilhas in Sao Paulo, Brazil

It was vanilla cream and caramelized banana topped with a golden meringue.
image of Manezinho Araújo at Tordesilhas in Sao Paulo, Brazil

Although the meringue was very sweet, I had to finish that sublime dessert: sweet, perhaps, but delicious with interesting layers and textures. I definitely recommend it.

The dinner at Tordesilhas was succulent and I am glad that I got to meet with Chef Mara Salles who proposes a wonderful experience to her diners, a culinary trip to the different regions of Brazil whose cuisine is unfortunately not popular enough abroad. Obrigado!

Al. Tietê, 489 
Sao Paulo - Brazil

Enjoy (I did)!

If you like this post or the photos, feel free to share it using the toolbar below or to write a comment! 

And Remember: I Just Want To Eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment