Restaurant Week: Porterhouse in New York, NY | I just want 2 eat

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Restaurant Week: Porterhouse in New York, NY

image of Porterhouse in New York, NY

There is no doubt what Porterhouse, located on the fourth floor of the Time Warner Center, is serving: steaks, steaks and steaks. 
image of Time Warner Center Porterhouse in New York, NY

With seafood, but steaks. It has been a while since I went to a steakhouse for restaurant week, as I typically tell people to avoid these types if places during that period, the quality of the meat being often sacrificed. I even did a test with my favorite steakhouse in Hoboken, Dino & Harry's: while the steaks have always been sublime, they were not good for Restaurant Week (see the post here). Why did I change my mind? Because my friend Julien convinced me that I would not be disappointed at Porterhouse. 
image of Porterhouse in New York, NY

So, we booked the place on Opentable for a Sunday, for lunch. We arrived a bit early and got seated fairly quickly in this incredible 140 seats place that overlooks Columbus Circle.
image of Columbus Circle view from Porterhouse in New York, NY

To give you am idea of the place, it all started in 2006, when Chef Michael Lomonaco took the bet to replace Jean-Georges Vongerichten's V Steakhouse place by a more traditional and more successful restaurant. The decor, designed by Jeffrey Beers (The Wynn in Las Vegas, DB Bistro Modern in NY) is very elegant with its leather banquettes, polished designed and the restaurant feels roomy. Contrary to most of the steakhouses, there is a lot of light, thanks to the large windows. 
image of dining room of Porterhouse in New York, NY

So we were there for the Restaurant Week menu that was printed on the bottom of the regular menu, replacing their business lunch and eliminating the awkward moment when you ask for it and can see in the eye of the waiter an expression that says "I should have guessed". 

Right after we ordered, they came with a bread basket that had three types of breads: French white, raisin-pecan and whole wheat. 
image of bread basket at Porterhouse in New York, NY

Jodi went for the French white

image of French white bread at Porterhouse in New York, NY

While I went for the raisin-pecan. 
image of raisin and pecan bread at Porterhouse in New York, NY

Some say that you can judge a restaurant by its bread: it started well!

For her appetizer, Jodi ordered the soup of the day: a gazpacho. 
image of gazpacho at Porterhouse in New York, NY

It was a fairly large plate of a delicious and refreshing chilled soup, perfect for the hot weather. 

On my side, I ordered the classic Caesar salad. 
image of Caesar salad at Porterhouse in New York, NY

Wow, that was a salad! It was, again, a large quantity and they were very generous with the amount of cheese on top. And yes, I ate all my salad. 
image of Caesar salad at Porterhouse in New York, NY

Then, came the steak frites that we both got. 
image of steak frites at Porterhouse in New York, NY
When I ordered, I asked the waitress what cut it was. She simply said "the tender", repeating what was written on the menu ("The butcher's tender"). So I asked if it was a tenderloin and she said yes. 
image of steak frites at Porterhouse in New York, NY

When the steak came, it had this V shape characteristic of a hanger steak and the taste too. I would have known, I would have asked to have it medium-rare cooked instead of medium, as it is a tougher meat. It was anyway quite good, the meat being juicy and tasty, with a nice char. 
image of wine and béarnaise sauces at Porterhouse in New York, NY

It was normally served with a wine sauce, that we asked on the side (if you do not like it and your steak and fries are smothered with it, your dish is spoiled). We also tried a delicious béarnaise sauce. 

With the steak were served some French fries that were very good: thin cut, crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and not greasy. 

Last was dessert. Jodi ordered the raspberry and passion fruit sorbets
image of raspberry and passion fruit sorbet at Porterhouse in New York, NY

image of raspberry and passion fruit sorbet at Porterhouse in New York, NY

And I ordered the flour less chocolate cake. 
image of flour less chocolate cake at Porterhouse in New York, NY

The latter was the best: very chocolate-y and moist in the center. But don't get me wrong: the sorbet was really good; you could definitely taste the fruits. 

This was a delicious lunch and it for sure made me want to go back to try their steaks. Porterhouse is definitely a place to know to enjoy a good meal in an incredible setting. 

Enjoy (I did)!

Porter House New York on Urbanspoon

If you like this post or the photos, feel free to share it using the toolbar below or to write a comment! 

And Remember: I Just Want To Eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment