Awesome BBQ at Southern Hospitality Restaurant in New York City! | I just want 2 eat

Friday, March 9, 2012

Awesome BBQ at Southern Hospitality Restaurant in New York City!

If you read my previous posts, you know that I love BBQ. So I really wanted to try Southern Hospitality in New York. I went to the location in Hell's kitchen. I like the place: it had a certain warmth, probably because of all the wood around, from the floor to the high ceiling, with wood letter going all around the restaurant. There was a great photo of Elvis as a boxer, that I guess is from the movie Kid Galahad from 1962. The service was good, but the food took a long time to come to our table!

So, this place is all about BBQ! All the traditional BBQ items are there: ribs, brisket, chicken...They also have the High on the Hog platter that costs $3000! It is an assorted appetizers platter that includes buffalo fried shrimp, fried pickles, hush puppies, nachos, hot wings, cheesesteak rolls. Then, wet and dry Memphis style spare-ribs, baby back ribs, 1/2 BBQ chicken, four sides and corn bread. To justify the price, you get a magnum of Armand de Brignac brut (note that the brut gold magnum costs $700, so not sure what makes the difference between $700 and $3000). Needless to say that I did not go for this....

In term of food, you have many choices:


  • For lunch, they have a $14.95 menu (at time of post) where you will choose an appetizer and an entree.
  • You can pick from the menu.
  • You can choose a combo platter.
  • You can pick different items for $5.95 (time of post). This is what I decided to do.
This was a mistake: the food was delicious, but I did not expect, for that price, so much food!!! The waitress should have told me it was too much, but I guess she was mostly concerned by her tip...



I picked the Dry Rubbed Memphis-Style Spare Ribs (two).
I loved it: the meat was so tender and moist! The dry rub was delicious and not too overpowering.






I aslo tried the brisket.
I am not a huge fan of brisket, but have to say that this was awesome! The brisket is usually a bit dry, but this was not!









Then came the roasted chicken. I asked for breast but you can ask for a thigh if you'd like. This was also pretty good, but not my favorite.







They also have some amazing fried shrimp! Yes, at this point, you are wondering when this post will stop. It was a feast so keep reading! So, back to the shrimp: they were fried but not greasy at all and tasty. I liked the fact that it was not baby shrimp...It was served with two sauces: no idea what they were!






Now, let's talk about sides! Remember the lunch menu? Well, they serve the Mac & Cheese, entree portion. This was huge! But so good! These were probably the best Mac & Cheese I ever had! So creamy!






Last were the tater tots: very good, crispy and not greasy!








It was definitely a feast and I loved it! Definitely a great place for BBQ! But do not do what I did...Otherwise you will have tons of leftovers!

Enjoy (I did)!
Southern Hospitality Hell's Kitchen on UrbanspoonSouthern Hospitality on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment