Recipe: Tomato bisque made with coconut milk | I just want 2 eat

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Recipe: Tomato bisque made with coconut milk

Last time, I was wondering what to cook for dinner and decided to try to make a tomato bisque. Now, I should not be using the term bisque as normally, a bisque contains a broth made with crustaceans (crab, lobster...), but it seems that everybody is using this term, probably to give a fancy name to a dish. Think about it: 
"I am going to serve you a tomato soup" - ok
"I am going to serve you a tomato bisque" - oh!

I love tomato bisque with grilled cheese. I even got that served in a wedding cocktail last year in Milwaukee and it was amazing! It is an awesome pairing, especially if you dip the grilled cheese in the soup.



The recipe below is very easy!


For 2 servings:
- 1 can (28 Oz) of fire roasted diced tomatoes (you can fire roast them yourself, but I personally do not have time for that!).
- 1 can of coconut milk.
- 1/2 teaspoon of Sriracha sauce.
- basil

Put the fire roasted tomatoes in a strainer and remove some of the tomato sauce by pouring water over it. Put the tomatoes in a blender and add the coconut milk, Sriracha sauce and some basil. Blend it together.
Reduce on low heat in a sauce pan for approximately 20 minutes. Et voila!

You can replace the Sriracha sauce with cayenne pepper: it is used to give a slight kick to the dish.

Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment