Revisit: Republic in Union Square, NYC, New York | I just want 2 eat

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Revisit: Republic in Union Square, NYC, New York

image of Republic in Union Square, NYC, New York

Republic is one these little gem that Union Square has to offer: great food and reasonable prices. We go from time to time and have never been disappointed. We ended up there again. I admit that I forgot how loud this place is...and the fact that the seating is communal means that you will probably hear whatever people around you are talking about...
image of Republic in Union Square, NYC, New York
What I love about the decor is all these beautiful black and white photos where noodles will be present (their motto is "Think noodles"), with people most of the time. And, as it was close to Christmas, they saddled them with Santa's hat.
image of Republic in Union Square, NYC, New York

I love the diversity of their menu, that spawns from Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand, Japan and China, sourcing quality ingredients. What I like is that they offer small dishes, perfect for sharing, as well as large ones if you want to go solo.

We started off with our favorite appetizer: sautéed mini dumplings.

image of sautéed mini dumplings at Republic in Union Square, NYC, New York

Made with minced pork, they are small; but they serve plenty of them, mixing them with cabbage, ginger, cilantro, scallions, and dressed with an oyster sauce. 

Then, Jodi ordered the curry vegetable noodle soup:
image of curry vegetable noodle soup at Republic in Union Square, NYC, New York

This sole choice of soup for vegetarians was composed of rice noodles,  coconut milk, tofu, snow peas, carrots, fried shallots, cabbage and broccoli. 

On my side, I ordered the curry chicken noodle soup.
image of curry chicken noodle soup at Republic in Union Square, NYC, New York

It was composed of rice vermicelli, shredded chicken, curry, coconut milk, bean sprouts and cilantro.

The soups were overall good and tasty, my favorite being the chicken one. Definitely, picking a broth with coconut milk is rarely disappointing, the milk adding some smoothness to it. However, I prefer when the noodles are thicker as they have more texture. But overall, it was good. 

So I can tell you that it was not the last time at Republic! And if you go there, do not miss the dumplings!

Enjoy (I did)!

Republic on Urbanspoon

If you like this post or the photos, feel free to share it using the toolbar below or to write a comment! 

And Remember: I Just Want To Eat!

3 comments:

  1. I'm in Union Square once in a while and I've always walked by Republic, but never been there. The curry chicken noodle soup looks extremely yummy! Was it spicy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica, there was a slight heat building up in the back of my throat. You definitely need to try Republic: it is a great place!

      Delete
  2. I have spent many happy summer afternoons with a thai iced tea and their papaya salad outside, people watching..... Somehow i think of it as a "summer" restaurant! That curry looks like a great reason to go back sooner.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete