O MAI in New York, NY | I just want 2 eat

Monday, September 29, 2014

O MAI in New York, NY

image of O MAI in New York, NY

O Mai is a Vietnamese restaurant located in the trendy Chelsea. It is a decent size place with a warm decor and an interesting menu with unique dishes that can satisfy any palate. We went there on a Friday night and the place was packed. This is definitely the place to go if you like loud music, loud people and barely no light to see your food...Fortunately, the cuisine is worth it: delicious and packed in flavors. Each dish has a name in Vietnamese and there is always an hesitation to give the original name or the main ingredient; should I ask for Ca Bam or monkfish? Bo Luc Lac or beef sirloin? I tried the original names of the dishes, making sure I was pointing them on the menu so there would not be any misunderstanding, and I am glad to report that we got the dishes we wanted...thanks to my finger...

We started with the crispy vegetarian rolls (Cha Gio). Nothing extraordinary there, but still, good rolls, a bit hot as just made.
image of crispy vegetable spring rolls at O MAI in New York, NY

Then, I could not resist to try their grilled calamari, served with cucumber, tomato, mixed greens and fresh herbs.

image of grilled calamari salad at O MAI in New York, NY

I love calamari and was not disappointed at all: it was perfectly cooked, not rubbery and very refreshing with the salad.

Then, Jodi ordered a tilapia served with some vermicelli noodles.
image of tilapia at O MAI in New York, NY

The fish was deliciously spicy, flakey and moist.

On my side, I ordered the sugar cane shrimp:
image of sugar cane shrimp at O MAI in New York, NY

It is as if the shrimp was put in a blender to create a thick paste that was then put around a sugar cane stick, before being grilled.
image of sugar cane shrimp at O MAI in New York, NY

It was sitting on a sort of rice net and served with a rice crepe. The way I ate it was by putting some mint leaves, peanut sauce, peanuts, onions and of course shrimp on the rice crepe, and then roll it. It was delicious: I was expecting some sweetness from the sugar cane, but did not taste any. The roll was packed in flavors, the mint giving some freshness to the dish.

Last was dessert. We decided to order the warm banana bread with Tahitian vanilla ice cream.
image of banana bread at O MAI in New York, NY

It was just ok; the banana bread being a bit too dry, it would have been better served with a creme anglaise.

This was a nice dinner and the service was very good. I love the food at O Mai: packed in flavors that are original and surprising. Would I go back? Sure!

Enjoy (I did)!

O Mai on Urbanspoon

If you like this post or the photos, feel free to share it using the toolbar below or to write a comment! 

And Remember: I Just Want To Eat!

1 comment:

  1. At Forest Hills Clinic, the understanding of the emotional impact of hearing challenges is at the heart of their approach. Their team of compassionate professionals has not only guided me through the complexities of my hearing journey but has also provided unwavering support that goes beyond the clinical setting. Forest Hills Audiology Clinic is where hope meets expertise, and I couldn't be more grateful for their guidance. https://foresthillsaudiology.com/services/hearing-loss/

    ReplyDelete