Sugar Sweet Sunshine in New York, NY | I just want 2 eat

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Sugar Sweet Sunshine in New York, NY

image of Sugar Sweet Sunshine in New York, NY

Located on the Lower East Side, Sugar Sweet Sunshine is a bakery that two friends, Peg and Deb, opened end of 2003. They succeeded two give to the place the 70's / 80's feel they wanted to create, adding to the flower power, the power of sweets. 
image of Sugar Sweet Sunshine in New York, NY

Their signature pastries are cupcakes, but they also have different versions of pudding, as well as layer cakes or pies. 
image of Sugar Sweet Sunshine in New York, NY

Jodi was torn between the coconut cream pie and the coconut cupcake. She chose the latter.
image of coconut cupcake at Sugar Sweet Sunshine in New York, NY


Well, that might have been a bad choice: she did not like it and me neither. The yellow cake was good, perfectly moist, but the buttercream icing did not taste good. If you add on top the unbalanced proportion icing / cake and the fact that there were not enough coconut shavings, it was a disappointing cupcake.
image of coconut cupcake at Sugar Sweet Sunshine in New York, NY

On my side, I decided to try some of their pudding. What is great is that you can get different sized, going from small (a shot) to large. 
image of pudding at Sugar Sweet Sunshine in New York, NY

I decided to try too:
image of pudding at Sugar Sweet Sunshine in New York, NY

A shot of banana pudding:
image of banana pudding at Sugar Sweet Sunshine in New York, NY

And a shot of chocolate Bomb pudding:
image of chocolate bomb pudding at Sugar Sweet Sunshine in New York, NY

It was made of chocolate cake, chocolate pudding and chocolate whipped cream. 

The chocolate pudding was just ok for me, missing some taste and being mostly some cake that was a bit dry; but I loved the banana pudding that was fantastic! Not too sweet, there were lots of banana slices and Nilla wafers in it. I was glad that we got to get at least one item we liked!

Would I go back to Sugar Sweet Sunshine? Well, I admit that I was a bit disappointed and the only reason I would go back would be for the banana pudding. For cupcakes, I would pass and go to Butter Lane or Two Little Red Hens.

Enjoy (the banana pudding)!

Sugar Sweet Sunshine on Urbanspoon

If you like this post or the photos, feel free to share it using the toolbar below or to write a comment! 

And Remember: I Just Want To Eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment