My nephew culinary visit: day 7 / part 1: Indian food at The Masala Wala in NYC, New York | I just want 2 eat

Monday, November 11, 2013

My nephew culinary visit: day 7 / part 1: Indian food at The Masala Wala in NYC, New York

image of The Masala Wala in NYC, New York
Talking with Valentin, I was not sure he ever had some good Indian food before. So I picked The Masala Wala: good food and reasonable prices, especially with their lunch special. I discovered this restaurant back in August and promised Jodi that we would go there to try some street food, as they serve some amazing dishes there.
image of The Masala Wala in NYC, New York

We sat in the bright dining room dominated by the gold coin representing one of the owners, Satyen Mazumdar, and decorated with paintings representing street scenes in India.

image of The Masala Wala in NYC, New York

We decided to share the different dishes we ordered and started off with the Dahi Puri, these little semolina puffs filled with spiced potatoes, chickpeas, tamarind, mint and yogurt. 
image of dahi puri at The Masala Wala in NYC, New York

These one bite puffs are very good and extremely refreshing, thanks to the mint and yogurt.

Then we shared a vegetarian samosa and some veggie pakora that are sort of fritters.

image of samosa and pakora at The Masala Wala in NYC, New York

The samosa was delicious, filled with spiced potatoes and peas that added a nice texture, on top of the crispiness of the shell. The pakora were good, slightly greasy, but crispy and kind of comforting.

Then we had one of my favorite Indian dishes: chicken tikka masala that Valentin ordered.

image of Chicken tikka masala at The Masala Wala in NYC, New York

I love the color of the sauce and its creaminess. At that point, I did not really care about the chicken and could have eaten the sauce without it. It had a slight kick that was perfect.

Jodi ordered the Shahi paneer (pressed Indian cottage cheese cooked in a rich cashew-almond cream sauce). In fact, it is not on the menu, but as I mentioned that I tried it last time and could not find it on the menu, they proposed to make it especially for us: that was very nice!
image of Shahi Paneer at The Masala Wala in NYC, New York

And the three of us were so happy! They should definitely have this on the menu: although a bit spicy, the sauce was heavenly creamy with a smooth taste.

We ate these dishes with some white rice:
image of White rice at The Masala Wala in NYC, New York

And some Naan bread (we picked the Naan basket, my favorite being the butter one):
image of Naan basket at The Masala Wala in NYC, New York

On my side, I ordered the chicken tikka, cooked in the tandoor oven:
image of Chicken tikka at The Masala Wala in NYC, New York

It was good, but I found the chicken a bit dry and did not like the rice that was served with it.

Valentin and I ordered a mango lassi, that is a meal in itself and was perfect to counteract the spiciness of the dishes. 

image of Mango lassi at The Masala Wala in NYC, New York

This was a delicious meal and The Masala Wala is a great place for some good Indian food!
image of Mango lassi at The Masala Wala in NYC, New York

Enjoy (I did)!

The MasalaWala on Urbanspoon
If you like this post or the photos, feel free to share it using the toolbar below or to write a comment! 

And Remember: I Just Want To Eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment