Restaurant Review: Brunch at Amanda's (Hoboken, NJ) | I just want 2 eat

Monday, September 19, 2011

Restaurant Review: Brunch at Amanda's (Hoboken, NJ)

Amanda's is a very popular restaurant in Hoboken, opened more than 20 years ago, whose name is in fact the name of the granddaughter of the original owner. 
We went few times in the past and the food was decent. They have an early dinner for $32 for 2 people, Monday through Saturday with reservations at 5pm and 5:30pm; orders have to be placed by 5:45pm in all cases and guests have to leave by 7pm / 7:30pm. For that price, you get an appetizer, an entree and a dessert of good quality. In term of appetizers, the Creamy Polenta with Red Pepper Coulis, Fresh Basil and Three Cheese Sauce is the best! For entrees, I prefer the Sautéed Cod with Basmati Rice and Savory Cabbage and the Quattro Formaggi Ravioli with a Light Tomato Basil Sauce. Desserts are also delicious (apple strudel, key lime pie or chocolate mousse). Definitely, for $32 for 2, it is worth it!
Image of Food at Amanda's in Hoboken, NJ - Croissant French toast, poached eggs with crab hash, honey smokes ham and swiss cheese omelett

So, we decided to try their brunch as Zagat voted them, in 2011, the best brunch in New Jersey. Well Zagat, before voting for a best brunch, you have to try several! I was very disappointed by the food! Let me explain why. We tried:
  • Croissant French Toast with Seasonal Fruit Compote: not sure where the French toast part was. It was just a croissant with a fruit compote on it and it was very, very sugary.
  • Poached Eggs with Crab Hash & Orange Hollandaise: at first I liked it, but gradually, it started to taste sweet. I am not sure if it was the French toast effect or the orange Hollandaise sauce. It came with 2 poached eggs: one well cooked and the other one overcooked (based on one of the eggs, and you can see that on the photo, they must use an utensil to poach). 
  • Honey Smoked Virginia Ham & Swiss Cheese Omelette: nothing memorable.
In fact the best part was the bread basket...from Balthazar...It had some delicious scones, not dry at all, and buttery croissants! I guess next time we will go directly to Balthazar in New York!

I do not think I will go back for brunch, but certainly for dinner!

Enjoy (I did not)!
Amanda's on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. After a long time, I read a very beautiful and very important article that I enjoyed reading. I have found that this article has many important points, I sincerely thank the admin of this website for sharing it. Best best brunch midtown service provider.

    ReplyDelete