Restaurant Review: La Isla (Hoboken, NJ) | I just want 2 eat

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Restaurant Review: La Isla (Hoboken, NJ)

Image of Food at La Isla in Hoboken - empanada, rice and beans, tostones

La Isla is a little gem! A tiny, non pretentious Cuban restaurant, with delicious dishes at a reasonable price. As it is tiny, be prepare to wait or come early to get a table!

The restaurant was showcased in Throw down with Bobby Flay on the Food Network: the owner, Chef Omar Ginner, competed for the best Stuffed French toast and won. His French toast is stuffed with fresh guava and the breading is made with corn flakes and almonds. It is pretty original, good, although sugary! His restaurant uses a lot of guava and even puts some in their BBQ sauce!

They also serve their interpretation of the Huevos Rancheros! My favorite! There is a little kick that I love! Definitely to try!

Another favorite for me is the beef empanada: it is filled with a very moist ground beef, that even if slightly salty, has an incredible taste. Their maduros (fried yellow plantains) are sweet and moist, not like the ones I had at Cubanitas in Milwaukee! Portions are good a good size! I did not try yet their other specialties, but I do not desperate...

Concerning the service, you do not go for that: it is like a bee hive!

Definitely a restaurant to go to if you are in Hoboken!

Enjoy (I did)!
La Isla on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment