A Taste of The Cake Boss Cafe at The Port Authority of NYC, New York | I just want 2 eat

Friday, April 12, 2013

A Taste of The Cake Boss Cafe at The Port Authority of NYC, New York

Image of the Inside of the Cake Boss Cafe at Port Authority in NYC, New York
I am not going to lie: I am not a big fan of the Cake Boss. I think he is very talented in making these elaborate and artsy cakes, built mainly with rice crispy treats and fondant, but except for a tiramisu, I have always been disappointed when I tried something there (see the review of Carlo's Bakery in Hoboken, NJ).  So it appears that now he is going mainstream by opening cafes in NYC! I saw a first one next to Guy Fieri's restaurant on 44th and then, he got the genius idea of opening a place on the corner of 42nd and 8th (Port Authority). At the beginning, similar to his shop in Hoboken, you could see staff at the door to regulate the traffic of customers, but it does not seem to be the case anymore...

For sure, they designed the place around his TV personality.
Image of the Inside of the Cake Boss Cafe at Port Authority in NYC, New York

The place offers a large choice of pastries that look pretty good but are a bit overpriced ($2.50 for a mini cannoli for instance). I wanted to surprise Jodi so I asked them if they had anything with coconut as it is her favorite flavor. Unfortunately, they had nothing! Interesting as coconut is pretty common nowadays!

So I ordered a linzer tart and a chocolate brownie.
Image of Linzer tart and brownie at the Cake Boss Cafe at Port Authority in NYC, New York

I chose the raspberry linzer tart instead of the nutella one as I wanted to try the more traditional one, although I think it is a great idea to propose a nutella version of it. The cookie itself was good, but the raspberry jelly was a bit too sweet.

The chocolate brownie was disappointing: it was not as fudgy as it should be and I think I can make a better one with a Betty Crocker mix!!!

This was a disappointing experience and you could really taste the fact that the product they offer is manufactured and not made anymore by the hands of a passionate pastry Chef. Sorry Cake Boss, but I am still not convinced!

Enjoy (the post)!

Cake Boss Café on Urbanspoon

If you like this post or the photos, feel free to share it using the toolbar below or to write a comment!

And Remember: I Just Want To Eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment