Japadog and Pommes Frites in East Village, NYC, New York | I just want 2 eat

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Japadog and Pommes Frites in East Village, NYC, New York

Hot dog and fries. Isn't it a good combination? Yes, I think it sounds (and hopefully tastes) good. We have been passing by St Marks quite a few times recently and when I saw that Japadog and Pommes Frites were so close, I convinced Jodi to go to both places. 
Image of Japadog in NYC, New York

So, on a Saturday, we started our Food excursion (these two places were not the only one that day...) with Japadog, specialized in Japanese hot dogs. Well, after the Japanese burger at Kobeyaki, why not!

The place is pretty colorful! 
Image of Japadog in NYC, New York

You first order your food at the counter and when it is ready, they will call your number. 
Image of Japadog in NYC, New York


When they call your number, you get your hot dogs and then put whatever toppings you want, especially if your hot dog comes naked.
Image of Toppings at Japadog in NYC, New York

Jodi decided to get the veggie dog:

Image of Veggie hot dog at Japadog in NYC, New York

The sausage was quite good for a vegetarian one!

On my side, I went for the Yakisoba that has soba noodles and is made with the arabiki dog (sausage made from coarse ground pork).
Image of Yakisoba hot dog at Japadog in NYC, New York

I also tried the Terimayo that is composed of Teriyaki sauce, mayo and seaweed. It is their signature hot dog.
Image of Terimayo hot dog at Japadog in NYC, New York

Between the two, I preferred the Yakisoba: tastier and more flavorful. On the second one, the seaweed were a bit too overpowering and...sticking to my lips!

Japadog was good and original, but it stops there for me. I liked it, but not to the point where I would have to definitely go back!

Japadog on Urbanspoon

Then, after Japadog, we decided to go to Pommes Frites that is around the block from Japadog.
Image of Pommes frites in NYC, New York
I had high expectations about that place! Imagine that: a place that only serves fries! If you only cook one item, it must be really good!

So we entered the place that is quite small, with just few seats.
Image of Pommes frites in NYC, New York

Interestingly, every table or counter has a hole to hold the fries:
Image of Pommes frites in NYC, New York

So, we ordered at the counter and could not miss the giant fryers:
Image of Pommes frites in NYC, New York

So, there, you pick your fries and then decide what kind of sauce you would like with (you can either get the sauce on top of the fries or separately.
Image of Pommes frites in NYC, New York

They have tons of mayonnaise: pineapple, roasted garlic (that would be aioli), sweet mango chutney...for a fee.

We decided to try the poutine:
Image of Poutine at Pommes frites in NYC, New York

Poutine is a Canadian specialty made of cheese curds and gravy on fries.

We also tried regular fries:
Image of Fries at Pommes frites in NYC, New York

Both costed us $10. It was a lot of food! The poutine was good: a bit salted because of the cheese and very hot.
The fries were salty too and not that great in fact! I was a bit disappointed because they were not very crispy like good fries are.

I am not a big fan of Pommes Frites. The concept is fun, but their fries are definitely not up to the par with Minetta Tavern that has the best fries I ever had! Try the ones at Minetta Tavern and compare them to Pommes Frites: you will understand what I am talking about!

Enjoy (I did)!

Pommes Frites on Urbanspoon
If you like this post or the photos, feel free to share it using the toolbar below or to write a comment! 

And Remember: I Just Want To Eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment